[NCLUG] Installing ubuntu 12.04 to ZFS root directory

Phil Marsh montanaembassy at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 21 14:36:11 MDT 2013

Incidentally, I stand corrected regarding my previous message about installing / on ZFS.
One must follow the instructions of
>> https://github.com/zfsonlinux/pkg-zfs/wiki/HOWTO-install-Ubuntu-to-a-Native-ZFS-Root-Filesystem
exactly regarding the editing of the /mnt/etc/network/interfaces because, oddly, the default configuration of this file yields a system that won't connect to the internet while running in terminal mode (no desktop GUI) as root and you then won't be able to install the desktop.
However, if one does the advised edit, then one finds that there is no internet connection with the advised edits when running the desktop GUI! So, after getting the desktop installed, then I had to go back and change the file back to its default.
I suggest one install the OS to a thumbdrive with ZFS etc.. installed to make manipulating the system easier.
Thanks,
Phil

Sent from my iPad