[NCLUG] Google Chrome

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Dec 3 17:31:12 MST 2013

Hi Kerry,

Kerry Miller wrote:
> Excuse me:  On my Fedora-19 Linux system google-chrome uses the
> default Linux document viewer on installation.  It did NOT come with
> a pdf viewer of its own.  The question is still how do I convince
> google-chrome to use a different pdf reader.

If it did not come with a PDF viewer of its own then you must be
running chromium not chrome.  They are different compilations with
different features enabled and disabled.  Chrome has several things
compiled in such as the nonfree Flash and nonfree PDF support while
chromium uses the external system tools.  Here is a table showing the
differences between chrome and chromium.

  http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ChromiumBrowserVsGoogleChrome

Is your icon colorful?  If so then it is chrome.  If it is chrome then
the pdf viewer is built in.  Which means you would need to disable it
first as per Myles' chrome reference.  If the internal is disabled
then it will use the system PDF viewer.

Is your icon shades of blue?  If so then it is chromium.  If it is
chromium then it will use the system pdf viewer.  In which case to
change the pdf viewer you will need to change your default system pdf
viewer.

I am not runing Fedora so don't know how to set the default pdf viewer
there.  I believe it is "evince" by default.  If you want the Adobe
viewer then first you will need to install the Adobe viewer.  (It is
nonfree so I tend to avoid it.)  Have you installed Adobe Acrobat PDF
Reader on your system?  If not then you would need to start there.  I
am not a Fedora user so I don't know but I see many HOWTOs for doing
this available on the net.

Also remember that you can always save the pdf file to your Desktop
and then open the file from the Desktop with "open with ..." and
select the viewer of your choice.  It may not be as convenient but it
will always work.

Bob