[NCLUG] No Permission

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Feb 15 12:43:57 MST 2013

On 02/11/2013 12:04 PM, n0wiq wrote:
> Chapter0108 is supposed to be an executable program created with the IDE
> CodeBlocks build function.

What *EXACTLY* is the "permission denied" error?  Because typically the
permission denied error tells you what the problem is.  For example:

   guin:~$ cd /tmp
   guin:/tmp$ date >Chapter0108
   guin:/tmp$ ./Chapter0108
   zsh: permission denied: ./Chapter0108
   zsh: exit 126   ./Chapter0108
   guin:/tmp$ bash
   [2] guin:tmp$ ./Chapter0108
   bash: ./Chapter0108: Permission denied
   [2] guin:tmp$

In this case, I haven't change the permissions, so the error is about the
file.  If however I do:

   [2] guin:tmp$ echo '#!/tmp/Chapter0108' >DemoFile
   [2] guin:tmp$ chmod 755 DemoFile
   [2] guin:tmp$ ./DemoFile
   bash: ./DemoFile: /tmp/Chapter0108: bad interpreter: Permission denied
   [2] guin:tmp$

Which tells me that the script is referencing an interpreter that doesn't
have execute permission on it.

What does "file Chapter0108" say?  What does "uname -m" say?