[NCLUG] sw raid, recovery after install

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Wed Jan 16 16:07:40 MST 2013

On 01/02/2013 02:35 PM, Matt Rosing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I added a raid 5 to my computer with 3 identical drives. I mounted it. I
> moved files to it. It looks like it's working. Then I looked at
> /proc/mdstat and it says it's recovering:
>
> -------------
> root at phoenix:/var/log# cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
> md0 : active raid5 sdb[0] sdd[3] sdc[1]
>        2930274304 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2
> [3/2] [UU_]
>        [========>............]  recovery = 40.6% (595347620/1465137152)
> finish=235.8min speed=61467K/sec
>
> unused devices: <none>
>
> Is it normal to be recovering a disk right after the raid is created? It
> could very well be that I set it up incorrectly.

If you didn't know to add "--assume-clean" to mdadm when you created the
array, then yes.  (Assuming you did it manually.)

If you used the debian or ubuntu installer, then it's also normal.  It
hasn't been "fixed" yet.  Witness my 6-year-old bug on the issue.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mdcfg/+bug/77470

Regards,
Mike