[NCLUG] sw raid, recovery after install

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Thu Jan 17 14:25:22 MST 2013

On 01/17/2013 04:48 AM, Michael Milligan wrote:
> On 01/16/2013 11:08 PM, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
>> On 01/16/2013 05:30 PM, Michael Milligan wrote:
>> It may be worthless data, but I can see situations where it's a useful
>> data-point.
>>
>> My recommendation would be to let the RAID sync...
>>

> I'd rather tell it "--assume-clean" since I burn in new drives (which is
> actually something you taught me a long time ago) and have all their
> blocks zeroed after that is done, so I already know they will be synced.

That's an entirely different situation; you were recommending using
--assume-clean without any qualification that I recall. If instead you
do actually know that the disks are zero'd out first (or at least are
filled with an identical pattern), then --assume-clean makes perfect
sense. However, it'd be wrong to use --assume-clean without having
explicitly caused it to be true first.