[NCLUG] looking for patterns in text

Mike Cullerton michaelc at cullerton.com
Mon Sep 9 16:10:37 MDT 2013

Hey Folks,

I'm helping a neighbor learn python, and we're using a problem they have at work.

They have text they want to parse, and compare to a known standard. They want to sort the text based on how similar it is to the standard.

They receive feedback from the public during engineering projects. Some of this feedback is original. Some is copy/pasted from form letter boilerplate. They'd like to parse the feedback text and sort it based on how similar it is to the boilerplate.

I'm guessing there's work out there already on this kind of stuff.

I've done some basic searches, but I'm not getting what I want. I'm hoping someone here knows some terms I can use to get started on my searching.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks,
Mike