[NCLUG] RAID array not started on re-boot

Jesse Griffin jesse at tummy.com
Mon Sep 9 16:54:06 MDT 2013

You could possibly get away with running:

      mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sda

After that, ensure that the RAID still looks good.  If there are problems then
you could fail sda1 out of the RAID and then add it back in, something like:

    mdadm --manage --fail /dev/md1 /dev/sda1
    mdadm --manage --remove /dev/md1 /dev/sda1
    mdadm --manage --add /dev/md1 /dev/sda1

Of course, that process will initiate a resync from the data on sdb1.  Also, if
you run into problems when re-adding sda1, then you can run the
--zero-superblock command above on sda1, then try adding it again.

Essentially, the above should give you a clean slate on sda/sda1, but may come
at the cost of rebuilding the array.  If the process works as expected, then you
could do the same steps on sdb/sdb1.

Note: I'm not guaranteeing the above by any means, but those are some ideas to
try if you are interested.

Thank you,
Jesse Griffin
tummy.com, ltd.