[NCLUG] ZFS RAID-Z2 for /home on Ubuntu 12.04

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Sep 10 13:15:38 MDT 2013

On 08/28/2013 01:52 PM, Michael Milligan wrote:
> with DKMS, no problems.  And it's significantly faster than the FUSE
> variant, though I did not do extensive benchmarking.

I haven't noticed improved performance.  I love the ".zfs" directory which
they just couldn't get under FUSE.  But performance has always, for me,
been limited to the mechanics, so I wouldn't expect in-kernel to be any
faster.

I *HAVE* had ZoL freak out on me once, but I also haven't done my stress
test.  Since that freak out it seems to be ok.  zfs-fuse also sometimes has
freak out issues, but those systems were quite heavily used, so issues once
a month or so translates into pretty good reliability in more typical
use-cases.  Much more heavily used than this system so far.

In-kernel is the way to go these days though.