[NCLUG] My vimrc.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Sep 11 20:52:49 MDT 2013

Here are some of the things I do with my vimrc.

.vimrc Things
=============

* set list listchars=tab:>-,trail:-

   Show me tabs and trailing spaces in most cases (unless overridden).
   This visually indicates them as things like ">----".

* set nrformats=alpha

   This fixes the problem mentioned last night where incrementing a 07, say
   in a date, cause it to go to 010 (octal 8).  It will still allow you to
   increment a single alpha letter.

* autocmd FileType c set tabstop=3 shiftwidth=3 softtabstop=0 smarttab
noexpandtab nolist textwidth=0

   If the file is detected as C code, I disable expanding tabs, and disable
   the showing of tabs as ">--", etc...

* autocmd FileType html set indentexpr=

   For HTML don't re-indent lines of code as I'm typing.

* autocmd BufRead,BufNewFile /tmp/tummyblog.*.md set spell tw=75 et ts=4
spellfile=~/vim/spell/blogentry.en.add

   If I'm editing a blog entry, set up a special dictionary, expand tabs,
   etc...

* autocmd BufRead,BufNewFile /etc/sudoers.tmp set textwidth=0

   Don't wrap lines in the sudoers file.

* autocmd BufRead,BufNewFile /tmp/*.eml source $HOME/.vimrc-thunderbird

   Read a special .vimrc when I edit a message in Thunderbird.

* set background=dark

   Tweak the color scheme to work better on a terminal with a dark
   background.

* let mapleader = ","

   Set the leader character to comma instead of backslash.

* Set macros for twiddling syntax, paste, and turn off search
  highlighting::

   nmap <silent> <leader>s :silent :set syntax=off<CR>
   nmap <silent> <leader>S :silent :set syntax=on<CR>
   nmap <silent> <leader>p :set paste<CR>
   nmap <silent> <leader>P :set nopaste<CR>
   nmap <silent> <leader>n :silent :nohlsearch<CR>

* nmap <silent> <leader>$ :%s/\s\+$<CR>

   Remove trailing whitespace.

* set t_ti= t_te=

   Do not change to an alternate terminal, so when I exit vi I still have
   text I was editing on my screen.

* set modeline

   Look in the first few and last lines of a file for a "vim:" line that
   specifies file-specific editing parameters.

* set autoindent

   Indent automatically when I start a new line, based on the code above
   it.

* set backspace=1

   IIRC, this allows me to backspace over the beginning of a line, but only
   up to the beginning of the current editing command.

* set directory=~/.vim-tmp

   Put all my backup files under my home directory.  This way, when my
   system locks up, on reboot I have a cron job specified by "@reboot"
   timespec, which renames this directory and makes a new one, so I don't
   leave .swp files all over.

* set scrolloff=1

   Leave a line of padding at the top and bottom of the window, so I an see
   the next/prev line when working at the edges.

* set synmaxcol=600

   Perform syntax highlighting on lines up to 600 characters long.
   Otherwise syntax highlighting gets confused if you are editing files
   with long lines.