[NCLUG] VIM Talk

Jared Hall jrhall at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 10:20:50 MDT 2013

I use screen for this sort of thing. It's great on servers because when
your connection drops you can log back in and jump back right where you
were with:

screen -r

You can also use it for pair programming because the sessions can be
shared.  This has been especially useful when working with developers on
distant continents or in low bandwidth areas.  Even in a high bandwidth
setting it's worth it for the improved latency.

screen -ls
screen -x <sessionIdFromAbove>

sudo apt-get install screen
sudo yum install screen

Here's my ~/.screenrc (the clock keeps your connection alive!):

defutf8 on
caption always "%{= kK} %{K}%-w%{+b w}%51>%n %t%{= K}%+w%<%-=%{= kK} jpad |
%{w}20%y-%m-%d %{w}%0c:%s %{-}"
shelltitle '$|$'
defscrollback 10000
termcap xterm|xterms|xs ti=\E7\E[?47l