[NCLUG] DVD player/media library.

John Gilmore j.arthur.gilmore at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 11:01:40 MST 2014

I'm looking for an application to use as a media center. MythTV
doesn't really fit, as I have (and want) no broadcast video source.
VLC and such don't have a library interface for picking which movie to
watch. Moovida sounds OK, but seems focused more on streaming
media/youtube, and their site is so flashy I distrust it on principle,
and can't seem to find and real documentation or feature lists.

My main objectives are:

Play movies from a remote file server.
   - Needs a graphical interface, so the three year old can start her
own movies without touching a DVD.
   - Any transfer/streaming method is fine, but I'd prefer NFS, SMB,
or HTTP as I already have those set up on the server.
   - LIRC required, three year old should be able to play with the remote.
   - Since a three year old will be playing with the remove,
configurations options MUST be lockable/disabled/keyboard only

Play DVD's
   - Should automatically add them to the library, so my wife doesn't
risk the three year old damaging DVDs she buys because she can't
figure out how to add them.

Play Music
   - Lower priority, but it'd be nice. MUST have a good search
function, favorites, recently used, or SOMETHING to make finding the
CD's I want out of a few hundred is managable.

Limited or No internet
   - Toddlers shouldn't be able to browse youtube, hulu, or anything else.

I have multi-monitor setup and working with xrandr, and have a couple
nice scripts to change mirror/side-by-side settings. I want to bind
these to a button on the remote, so the 12yr old can play video games
on the computer screen while the three year old watches a movie on the
big screen, OR we can watch a movie on both screens for a larger
audience when we have friends over (18 children and 8 adults don't fit
in the room with the big screen)