[NCLUG] zfs (my hard drive crashed, time to upgrade the fs?)

Zak Smith zak at computer.org
Sat Jan 4 16:16:50 MST 2014

My bad.  I got it from here
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs-auto-snapshot

Once you install it in /usr/local/src, you can just run make install.

> Another thought occurs to me though. Would it be useful to abuse zfs
> by giving it a networked block device? My brother lives next door, and
> we've got a fast link, I could concievably setup a server there, and
> BAM! instant offsite (sorta) snapshots!

If you want to keep a remote copy of a zfs filesystem, look at "zfs
send" / "zfs receive".   They are designed for this.  I have some
scripts here that keep a series of snapshots up to date, which I'd be
willing to share.

--
# Zak Smith    mobile 970-232-4468