[NCLUG] file system damage from dd with of=<a drive in my file system>

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Sun Nov 22 10:07:11 MST 2015

Before you do anything, you should take an image of both drives onto a
third unrelated drive so nothing gets worse.

To find out exactly which physical volumes contain (various parts of)
your logical volumes, you can do a couple of things:

a) Run the command: "lvdisplay --maps".

This will list all the LVs in your system, and for each, a list of
segments showing where those segments are stored.

b) Look at the file "/etc/lvm/backup/${vg_name}"

(replace "${vg_name}" with the name of your VG)

Again, the "logical_volumes" section contains an entry for each LV, and
within each of those, there is a list of "segment" sections that
indicates where the data is stored.

You might be lucky; even though your VG includes PVs from both physical
disks, unless your LV is large enough not to fit into the first PV, it's
possible the second PV isn't used yet.

Of course, hopefully you have backups just in case.