[NCLUG] Tuesday April 10th, 2017 NCLUG Meeting

Sean Reifschneider jafo00 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 15:58:28 MDT 2018

I've also used IPVS in the past, it works pretty well for many things.  In
particular, a "DR" (direct routing) configuration can be extremely high
performance, because it only has to handle incoming packets and responses
are sent directly back to the client instead of coming back through the
ipvs.

I had problems in the distant past with one of the ipvs tools written in
perl, whos' name I can't recall, which would occasionally go out to lunch
and have to be restarted.  It was fine as long as no configs were changing,
because that was all handled by the in kernel code.  But once the config
changed and you tried to apply it, it would just freak out.

There's another method that is kind of "distributed load balancing" using
an iptables module which I can't find the name of at the moment, which
works by using the remote IP address to decide if a machine should block or
accept a packet, so you have have 10 machines all with the same IP on it,
but only one of those 10 will process that packet.

I've been using haproxy a lot for the last year or two and it's really
great.  I love the web interface for checking status, that I can load
balance based on layer 7 things including what SSL cert or name was used,
parts of the URL, and the like.  It's been extremely reliable.  I also use
health checks and agent checks to take machines in and out of the load.  I
can touch a file on the system that causes the agent to take a system out
of the load, for example, and only return back to the load when it is
healthy and that file has been removed.  It's also really easy to use
LetsEncrypt for all systems behind a haproxy load balancer with the haproxy
holding the key and doing the challenge/auth for LE.  With all the
capabilties of haproxy we were able to go down from over a dozen IPs
between production and dev/stg, to a single IP for prod and one more for
dev/stg (hosted at different locations).  That was nice.  :-)

We use keepalived for HA/fail over.

There are a lot of other proxies out there.  nginx can do it, IIRC.  caddy
I've heard good things about https://caddyserver.com/