[NCLUG] Tuesday August 14th, 2018 NCLUG Meeting

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Aug 14 19:56:06 MDT 2018

James wrote:
> > What: Tuesday August 14th, 2018 NCLUG Meeting
> > When: Tuesday August 14th, 2018, 6pm
> > Where: Fort Collins Creator Hub,
> >   1304 Duff Dr Unit 15, Fort Collins, CO; map:
>
> UPDATE:
> Unfortunately, Aaron is not well today, and so we will have to postpone
> the Ceph storage cluster demo scheduled for tonight, Aug 14.
> We plan to reschedule when Aaron is able, so please keep this topic in
> mind.
>
> Tonight:  Short topics.
>     And, Did you have any problem setting up for the Ceph demo?

Unfortunately our presenter Aaron came down sick the 24 hours before
the meeting.  Get some sleep Aaron and get well soon!  Therefore the
topic changed to a short topics presentation night.  We will
re-schedule the cephs topic for a future date.

Show-n-Tell.  James brought his monitor with a Raspberry Pi velcro'd
to the back side of it.  An example where the keyboard and monitor are
many times the size of the computer.

Bob passed around some show-n-tell.  The collection of three different
sets of hardware that was assembled for the cephs walkthrough.  The
main one being a 1st generation Banana Pi setup with SATA attached SSD
disk, times two to make it into a cluster.  The BPi's are quite fast
with high speed network and reasonable speed SATA.  A laptop with USB
connected hard drives.  (Yawn.  Nothing exciting there.)  And a set of
Raspberry Pis with USB attached SD cards for storage.  I am interested
to know if the RPi's can keep up.  The RPi's are quite slow.

Nathan gave an impromptu presentation on his recent DKIM setup on his
mail server.  OpenDKIM is an open source implementation of the DKIM
(Domain Keys Identified Mail), now standardized by the IETF
(RFC6376).  Nathan set this up on his Linode hosted mail system.  He
also liked the tools available from the MX Toolbox site.

  http://www.opendkim.org/
  https://dmarc.org/
  https://mxtoolbox.com/

Discussion turned to a quick roundtable survey of mail transport
agents, imap servers, and mail clients.  Of the people running their
own mail servers Postfix was the only MTA being used.  For IMAP it was
Dovecot.  For mail clients their was no consensus.  Use what you like
best and all will work with the IMAP server.  However there was some
interest in web mail clients.  RoundCube being a favored one.  And of
course the oldest is SquirrelMail last updated 2013 and a new one that
no one here had tried is MailPile.

  https://roundcube.net/
  https://www.mailpile.is/

Alex then gave a demonstration of his home guinea pig temperature
monitoring on the web.  That came along with his guinea pig web cam.
Live piggie stream!  FTW!  Very cute little piggies!

Of course no meeting would be completely without talking about the
current Spectre exploit.

  https://foreshadowattack.eu/