[NCLUG] December 10th, 2019 NCLUG Meeting

Sean Reifschneider jafo00 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 09:08:26 MST 2019

I've dabbled a bit with video editors, I could swear I wrote up a short
comparison last year when I was trying out a bunch of them but I can't seem
to find it.

There are a lot of open source editors out there: PiTiVi (abandoned?),
kdenlive, Cinelerra, Flowblade, Shotcut, and I think Blender can also do
video editing though it is largely known for the 3D capabilities.  There
are a couple not open source as well: Lightworks (free to use, but requires
a subscription to output 4K), and Davinci Resolve.

I liked Lightworks but couldn't bring myself to pay $25/mo for 4K,
considering infrequent use.  Shotcut worked ok, I have a note that there
were some repeated frames at scene transitions that I had to clean up after
I made the video.

I know I tried 3-4 of them seriously, but again I lost my notes.

What I can tell you is that I ended up using Davinci Resolve.  It is
professional level and pretty easy to use with a ton of tutorials online.
Its pricing model is interesting: Free, unless you need pro level features
(6K+ video, clustering, multiple GPUs) where it's $300.  It does require a
pretty beefy GPU, I had to upgrade the video card in my 5+ year old system
to something with 3GB.  Also, I spent 4-6 hours over a couple attempts and
was never able to get it working under Linux.  I ended up installing
Windows on a drive that I use for video editing.  Worth it considering how
powerful it is: Multi-cam editing, image stabilization, object tracking,
fancy transitions and titles.

I got this "4x 2.5" bays in a 5.25" slot" drive adapter, it just uses the
bare drive, and I use it like an Iomega Jaz drive.  So I can pop in a drive
for video editing, pop in a couple other drives for archiving footage, pop
in another drive to boot Linux...

Also, I spent a long time trying to track down weirdness related to
MP4/H.264 issues.  It really isn't "editing friendly".  I ended up
resolving the issues by always converting my video into ProRes format using
ffmpeg before editing it.  I had that issue mostly on Resolve, but I wonder
if my Shotcut duplicated frames issue was also related to that.

If you just need to do simple editing, one of the open source ones should
work just fine.  But if you want to do anything fancy, you probably want
Resolve.

For example, this video includes multiple camera angles (an action cam and
a screen recorder) and was pretty easy to edit in Resolve:
https://youtu.be/pxt23H-mYyc

Speaking of screen recorder, I ended up using Open Broadcaster.