[NCLUG] Tuesday March 12th, 2019 NCLUG Meeting

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Mar 12 19:18:03 MDT 2019

jdewitt at verinet.com wrote:
> What: Tuesday March 12th, 2019 NCLUG Meeting
> When: Tuesday March 12th, 2019, 6pm
> Where: Fort Collins Creator Hub,
>   1304 Duff Dr Unit 15, Fort Collins, CO; map:

Stephen Warren talked about his adventures using and programming the
Teensy.  We saw the code used to prgoramm.  The prototype board.  And
were regaled with music that was produced by it hammering on a floppy
drive.

  https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/
  https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensyduino.html

Then we got a demo of the sigrok project which aims at creating a
portable, cross-platform, Free/Libre/Open-Source signal analysis
software suite that supports various device types (e.g. logic
analyzers, oscilloscopes, and many more).

  https://sigrok.org/

This is a software logic analizer.  Which was used to capture data
from the interface and show the waves.  There is a waveform viewer.
There is a protocol decoder.  Users can write their own decoders.
Decoders in Sigrok are python scripts.  Stephen wrote a floppy disk
protocol decoder for it in python.

Stephen had a floppy with a boot image of Fedora.  The 1.44M image
dump of it was then loaded into QEMU to emulate it.  This ran up until
it couldn't because it was designed to boot load the rest of the
Fedora system on another disk.

Pretty cool stuff!