[NCLUG] Tuesday October 8th, 2019 NCLUG Meeting

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Wed Oct 9 18:23:42 MDT 2019

On 10/8/19 7:41 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Stephen then gave a demonstration of USB-IP which is USB over
> IP networking.  Alex had talked and demo'd usbip in a previous meeting
> but this is cool enough for multiple demonstrations and everyone has a
> different spin on it.  Stephen walked us through unbinding the local
> device and exporting and importing the device.  He found the need to
> do this somewhat annoying and had scripted a hack to loop and repeat
> it as needed to facilitate.  Then list the USB devices on the remote
> system.  Then bind it to the local system.  And transported over the
> network the remote USB device is now attached to the local system.

Hopefully Alex's presentation happened when I was on vacation, as
opposed to my memory failing horribly!

Anyway, below are the notes I made myself for the talks I gave last time
on auditcl, and this time on usbip; hopefully they're useful to someone!

---------- auditctl

sudo bash
apt install auditd

rm -f /var/log/audit/audit.log
service auditd restart

auditctl -l

auditctl -a exit,always -F arch=b64 -S execve

# Generate some audit events
find . -type f |xargs -n 1 ls -l|head

auditctl -d exit,always -F arch=b64 -S execve
auditctl -D

auditctl -l

ausearch -sc execve
less /var/log/audit/audit.log

---------- usbip

Note: SSome cribbed from:
> https://github.com/solarkennedy/wiki.xkyle.com/wiki/USB-over-IP-On-Ubuntu

Host (exporter):

lsusb|grep -i nvidia

sudo /usr/lib/linux-tools/*/usbipd

/usr/lib/linux-tools/*/usbip list -l
# Shows device 1-8.2 as a device

echo 1-8.2 | sudo tee /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-8\
/1-8.2/driver/unbind

while true; do \
  sudo /usr/lib/linux-tools/*/usbip bind -b 1-8.2; \
  sleep 1; \
done

# Jetson UART for monitoring flashing process
picocom -b 115200 /dev/console-xavier-c

Client (importer):

lsusb|grep -i nvidia
# nothing

/usr/lib/linux-tools/$(uname -r)/usbip list -r 10.20.204.51

sudo modprobe vhci-hcd

while true; do \
  sudo /usr/lib/linux-tools/$(uname -r)/usbip attach -r 10.20.204.51 \
    -b 1-8.2; \
  sleep 1; \
done

lsusb|grep -i nvidia
# shows device

# Flash the device to demonstrate usbip usage
cd /home/swarren/l4t/full_linux_for_tegra/Linux_for_Tegra
sudo ./flash.sh -r jetson-xavier mmcblk0p1