Why I am starting to hate Linux.

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Apr 28 18:44:05 MDT 2022

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 02:17:27PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Steve Wolf wrote:
> > As another alternative to a debian-based system like ubuntu, I'm running
> > RedHat on my home server.  I used to run CentOS, which was downstream
> > RedHat, but then RedHat bought CentOS and turned it into its experimental
> > branch.  But they do offer a free RedHat subscription for up to 31 boxes (I
> > think -- I'm only running one).
>
> For people who haven't been following the activity "CentOS Stream" now
> sits as a testing ground somewhere between RHEL and Fedora on the
> close to RHEL side.  Red Hat plans to use the CentOS community to test
> for bugs in what then will go into their RHEL release.  CentOS Stream
> will be a rolling release model for new development.  I know several
> people who have not been happy with Red Hat's decision to pull the
> CentOS rug out from under them.

While you are correct there, I'll add some more info that perhaps people
are unaware of or don't realize from this.

Fedora is still upstream from major RHEL versions.
So, for example RHEL9 will be based off Fedora 34 and bring in a number
of "big changes" from RHEL8.

CentOS stream is upstream for minor RHEL versions.
So, for example CentOS stream right now has bugfixes and minor updates
for the next minor version of RHEL. (ie, 8.6 and 9.1.. there's actually
a 8 stream and a 9 stream, the 8 stream will go away after 9.0 comes
out).

All the minor changes landing in CentOS stream pass through all the RHEL
CI and automated testing. So, while I guess you could call that
"rolling" you would seldom if ever see any major version update. You
would see small bugfixes and minor updates. For many folks use case
CentOS stream is just fine. Also, it now allows people to directly
test/influence RHEL, which you couldn't really do before, there was no
open place to get fixes in except Fedora, and that was not until the
next major version.

So, between RHEL8 and RHEL9 you will see things like openssl going from
1.1.x to 3.0. While in CentOS stream you would see things like:
" Fix regression in evp_pkey_name2type caused by tr_TR locale fix "
https://gitlab.com/redhat/centos-stream/rpms/openssl/-/commit/9afaa3d1f44b269f9ab98cb1163e6c459fc0aff1

kevin