Snap Store

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Thu Aug 25 20:22:26 MDT 2022

On 8/25/22 16:41, Brian Sturgill wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 3:04 PM Bob Proulx <bob at proulx.com
> <mailto:bob at proulx.com>> wrote:
>
>     Brian Sturgill wrote:
>      > It turns out that, while snapd, etc. are open source.
>      > The protocols of the snap store are proprietary.
>      >
>      >
>     https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/snap.html#disabled-snap-store-in-linux-mint-20 <https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/snap.html#disabled-snap-store-in-linux-mint-20>
>
>     I have always been told that snaps are an Ubuntu proprietary feature.
>     Other OS distributions can't use snaps.  Ubuntu users are not quite
>     required to use snaps but not using them is harder.
>

> Snaps run on most modern Linux (that have systemd).
> What is propritary the store protocol.

I don't see anything in that article, or the 2 links Mint blog posts,
that states that. The snap store *server* is said to be proprietary, but
there's nothing saying that the *client* in Ubuntu is proprietary, and
indeed at least prior to those announcements, it was part of Mint too
apparently. If the client is not proprietary, the protocol isn't either.
There is mention that the client can only talk to one server, but
presumably that's something that could be fixed assuming the client is OSS.