Note on rgrep/powershell/find topic from last night's meeting.

Brian Sturgill bsturgill at ataman.com
Wed Jan 12 13:58:29 MST 2022

I said I didn't know how fast PWSH's Select-String (grep) method was, but
intend to run some
benchmarks. The discussion evolved into 'grep -r' vs 'find ... -exec grep
pat {}...).

Here's some benchmarks.
They are run on my main Linux and Windows desktop machines.
Windows box slightly more powerful than the Linux box.
Windows 11th gen i7 laptop chip [Intel nuc] w/32gb memory.
Linux 8th gen i5 (8th gen, but recently reengineered... about as fast as
11th gen, somewhat worse power consumption), 16 gb mem.
Both have good M.2 SSDs.
My Linux version is Ubuntu 21.10 Mate.
My Windows version is the latest stable build of Windows 11.

I ran these commands on the same set of 6+GB of ebooks.

Commands benchmarked:
"rgrep": grep -r notLklyToBeFnd .
"find" find . -type f -exec grep notLklyToBeFnd {} \;
"pwsh": Get-ChildItem -Path "." -Recurse | Select-String -Pattern
"notLklyToBeFnd" -CaseSensitive