looking at a server

Zak Smith zak at computer.org
Mon Oct 3 21:14:28 MDT 2022

My recommendation for a modern ZFS server is to use SSD SATA drives
and put them in one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G46V2C5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077Z7FQ43/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and then run them off an LSI SAS/SATA controller (IT mode), in a
current minus 1 or -2 generation tower.

This is what I do now.   I used to hang a bunch of SAS and/or SATA
drives in an external SAS/SATA enclosure from PC Pitstop,
  https://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas-expanders-enclosures
and use external SAS/SATA connection from a similar LSI card
(Infiniband cable).

Rack machines for home kind of suck because they are loud as hell.
Typically you'd source the drive caddies from ebay or such and then
populate the drive bays.

--
Zak Smith
307-543-7820 office