Best practices for site wiring

Zak Smith zak at computer.org
Sun Oct 23 10:23:19 MDT 2022

Let's say I have a building that will need about 30-48 network drops,
in a combination of GBE, 10GBE, and single mode fiber pairs (SMF),
from a central switch location (network "closet" or small server
room), fed by a fiber link to another building.

If we consider just the part where the cables are routed through the
walls/attic to the switch site, what is the best way to terminate and
organize them?

I see several possibilities:

1. Mount a small (like 2-4U) rack bracket to the wall, with one or
more keystone patch panels on it to terminal all the site
wiring/fiber, and then use short-ish (ie, 2-8' depending on physical
location) patch cables to the equipment on the rack

2. Put the keystone patch panels directly on the equipment rack and
terminate the site wiring on these

3. Have the wall-mounted keystone site cable terminators, that feed
another keystone panel on the rack, simply for better organization and
flexibility

I'd prefer to avoid common pitfalls and have a tidy setup from the
get-go.   What's the best way to do it?

thanks
Zak

--