Tuesday September 13th, 2022 NCLUG Meeting

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Sep 13 22:41:44 MDT 2022

j dewitt wrote:
> What: Tuesday September 13th, 2022 NCLUG Meeting

Hey!  I am back!  I have been gone the last two meetings.  But I am
back again now! :-)

Aaron brought in a stack of BYTE Magazine ranging from 1982 through
1989.  This spawned a fun round table chat about things as we flipped
through the magazines.  This consumed a half hour easily but we were
having such a good time with it.

Aaron brought out some show-n-tell.  Always fun.

Aaron also brought his PDP-11 simulator fun.  A PDP-11 booting Unix v6
with all of the fun of Unix v6!  Takes three disks to boot.  This is
the way computing was back in the day.  The Unix v6 system sports the
pre-Bourne shell.  A very rudimentary command line shell.  In that
shell "if" and such are external commands for example.  No sed.  No
head or tail.  Use ed for an editor.

All of the commands are tiny in comparison to today's executable
sizes.  16-bit programs.  This is 240 bytes!

    -rwsr-xr-x  1 root      240 Jul 18 09:47 /bin/mkdir

Pipe is ^ character.  The ls command does not columnate the output but
everything is one line.  Pipe it with "ls ^ pr -5 -t -l1" in order to
get wrapped output.  No egrep or even fgrep at that time so no
extended regular expressions but just basic regular expressions.  This
was a huge amount of fun!

And then I had to leave due to an urgent family matter.  So no idea
what happened after that point.  (Everything is fine with everyone.
Cars...  Not so much.)

Bob