Ethernet-layer NAT (userspace queueing for ebtables)?

Gabriel L. Somlo gsomlo at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 20:13:02 UTC 2023

Sean, Stephen,

Since I asked, and you tried to help me, I figured I'd link you to the
solution I came up with so far (because no matter how much I try to
turn off learning on a linux bridge, the mac addresses of a physical
interface that acts as one of its ports will still always be in the
bridge FDB, and will prevent frames with that address as a destination
from actually being forwarded *through* the bridge (after all, one of
its local ports *has* that mac address, so the bridge *just knows*
that frame doesn't need to leave :)

I asked on the netfilter list as well, got told to go set up a layer-2
VPN there as well, so I came up with a *double* NAT scheme that
actually works:

https://marc.info/?l=netfilter&m=168037556509521&w=2

TLDR; it's two bridges in series, each of them NAT-ing the "shared"
mac address to something else while traveling over the veth pair
connecting the two bridges... :)

I feel I shouldn't have to do this, as there ought to be a way to tell
a linux bridge to stop thinking and just act like a dumb hub in cases
where the admin knows what they're doing :) But at least I don't have
to butcher the kernel-level bridge code to get what I want :)

Thanks again for all your help brainstorming,
--Gabriel