blocked 443 port

Steve Wolf stevewolf6 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 03:50:29 UTC 2023

> I actually have ssh on port 443.  Because some places, like the PVH
> hospital and MCR, no longer allow port 22 out.  Those buggers!

I assume you’re aware of sslh, which multiplexes SSH and HTTPS, based on the first packet received.

I ran ssh/443 on my home server for awhile (with sslh) when my employer was blocking 22.  I had the opportunity of demonstrating to an IT manager a SOCKS tunnel between my home server and a machine inside the corporate firewall, after which the policy of blocking 22 went away as being fruitless.  I told the IT manager that there are many reasons to trust employees to do the right thing, this being one of them.

Bob, perhaps you can perform such a demo for the PVH IT crew…

Regards,
Steve