A disturbing change in Windows could have Linux complications.

Phil Marsh microcraftx at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 15:28:19 UTC 2023

Hi Brian,
This sounds like a mess to me, at least until we get improvements in
reliability of internet access. Assuming a reliable internet connection
everywhere, with decent bandwidth, this is also an opportunity for Linux,
namely having a more integrated and easier connections of portable devices
to home servers.
The real threat I see is if most or all manufacturers produce only devices
that can only be booted from Microsoft's corporate servers.
If internet remote boot becomes the norm for laptops, then I'll set it up
to boot from my home servers.
I don't see servers going away soon and the used server market will
continue to exist.
Also, it seems that obsolescence of old server technology is starting to
accelerate, after a lull of several years.
Best,
Phil