NCLUG Server New ISP and New IP Address

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Fri Mar 10 05:41:45 UTC 2023

Tomorrow, Friday 3/10 our NCLUG server is switching ISPs and getting a
new IP address as a result.  We are switching to Fort Collins
Connexion Business fiber.

This is not anything that should cause any NCLUG reader of this
mailing list problems.  But a lot of ISPs and email service providers
keep an internal database of "IP Reputation".  Changing IP addresses
means that we are going to initially start off with an unknown
reputation.  Things might be a little wonky until the reputation is
"warmed up".

Google for example scores messages that are read as being good and
messages that sit unread as being not so good.  Therefore it would be
nice if the next few messages from the mailing list all get read.  And
if they are sent to the Spam folder that people correct the scoring
that they are not spam then that will help validate our new IP
address.  Thanks for your help!

The plan is for things to switch over late Friday.  But if there are
problems this might slip until Saturday.  The web site and the mailing
list will be both be unavailable during the time we are changing
things.  I will send out an update after we have made the switch over
with hopefully an update that everything went swimmingly.  But it's
also possible there will be a tale of sadness and woe.  Let's hope for
rainbows and unicorns though! :-)

Bob