[NCLUG] New linux server

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Wed Jan 30 18:50:49 MST 2002

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 01:26:27PM -0700, Chris Funk wrote:
>On to the question.  Any suggestions on Mail/IMAP/POP servers?  I've
>researched Qmail and Postfix   with various combinations of IMAP/pop

I've been very happy with Qmail...  Not to say that Postfix is bad or
anything, I've just been using Qmail since well before Postfix existed, and
have come to know it very well.

I usually pick up the RPMs from untroubled.org, including qmail+patches (or
you can get the slightly newer RPMs from
ftp.tummy.com:/pub/tummy/RPMS/SRPMS/ which include a few enhancements).
Then I get relay-ctrl from untroubled.org, and vpopmail, qmailadmin, and
sqwebmail from inter7.com (vpopmail you have to install by tar, the others
you can install from RPM).  If you need IMAP, I've had good luck with
Courier.

Use "rpm --rebuild <srpm name>" to build binaries from the source RPMs,
install them, and do some minimal configuration in /etc/qmail/control, and
you have a fully-functional system including POP before SMTP relay,
webmail, web-based virtual domain account administration (so you can have a
number of people without root add/remove mail users, and none of the mail
users have accounts on the system).  A delightful setup.

I would be remiss to mention that we do all this for you for a small fee.
;-)

Good luck,
 "How can just a few feet of unshielded twisted pair bring SO much joy?"
                 -- Paul Orosz on DSL, paraphrasing Homer Simpson