[NCLUG] NCLUG Meeting Minutes

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Wed Jul 17 11:32:56 MDT 2002

	I'm not saying that. I'm just wondering what happens if someone
	takes someone else's code (illegally) and puts a LGPL on it?
	Unfortunately, the LGPL does not carry a digital signature, so
	anyone with access to "vi" can doctor code to make it appear to
	be LGPLed.

	So, I fully understand HP *could* put their code under the LGPL
	and release it, and still hold the copyright, but my question
	is, how do we know whether they actually did so, sort of
	getting on the phone and calling up Mr. Packard and Mr. Hewlett
	and having them write out a release form penned in their own
	blood?

	Marcio Luis Teixeira

What you state has happened, and the owners have made sure that copies
are taken back out of the public domain, or public access. Other than
a few people retaining private copies in their libraries ... further
distribution is largely suppressed because any additional copies bear
full legal recourse for everyone in the chain that chooses to make
additional copies afterward.

Forgeries are generally identified over time ... in the month that Judy
has been posted to Sourceforge, HP has had time to formally send a note
requesting it's prompt removal.

John