[NCLUG] make problem

Idris S Hamid ishamid at attbi.com
Sat Jun 1 06:59:20 MDT 2002

Dear folks,

I am trying to install Autotrace
http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/
http://ftp1.sourceforge.net/autotrace/autotrace-0.30.tar.gz
which converts bitmaps to vector graphics/outlines for, e.g., type1 font
development.  I am having some problems with the
installation from source (Suse Linux 8.0). I ran ./configure and resolved any
dependencies to which it alluded. make now gives the following message:

# make
gcc  -g -O2  -o autotrace  atou.o main.o getopt.o getopt1.o libautotrace.a
-L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/lib -lMagick -llcms
-lfreetype -lXext -lXt -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lz -lpthread -lm -lpng -lz -lm
-lming -lm -lm
/usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [autotrace] Error 1

The first time I ran make it said, " cannot find -lfreetype". I then installed
the freetype libraries. Now i don't know what I'm missing. I am  not a
programmer so maybe the answer is staring me in the face and I don't see it.
My only guess is that there is a library called Xext somewhere that I need to
install. I could not find it an any of the 8 Suse disks or at rpmfind.net.

I hope you can help me. Thnx in advance.

Best wishes
Idris
--
Dr. Idris S Hamid