[NCLUG] Re: ssh thru a proxy - clarification

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Mon Sep 30 14:29:47 MDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 02:12:19PM -0600, Dan Fink wrote:
>VSAT modem with IP 148.xx.xx.xx, and one attached to the LAN hub, with
>IP 192.168.0.1. The client machine (Linux) has an IP of 192.168.0.2.  I
>set the proxy software (running on WinME) on the host machine to listen
>on port 22 from only the 192.168.x.x address range, and forward to port
>22 on our server at Tummy.com. So a better question on my part would've
>been:
>
>How do I log onto our server at Tummy using ssh from the client machine,
>through the proxy host machine? I think the proxy is set up correctly
>for listening on port 22 on the WinME host machine. I also just acquired
>Browsegate, as Sean recommended, and could try that also.

Ok, so you have port forwarding happening on the Windows proxy machine such
that port 22 forwards to the destination machine.  To then use that proxy
to log in to the remote machine, you just SSH to the proxy:

   ssh user at 192.168.0.1

That will connect to the proxy and forward on to the final machine.

With the Browsegate software, you would be able to just directly connect to
the remote machine:

   ssh user at example.com

Browsegate is a NAT, not a proxy, so the traffic coming in on the private
interface then gets forwarded to the external interface.  Note: the "free
registration" doesn't allow DHCP, which isn't obvious from their pages.

 Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves
 on a rainy Sunday afternoon.                -- Heinlein