[NCLUG] Ousting Exchange

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Apr 28 16:27:26 MDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 05:33:14PM -0700, Matt Taggart wrote:
>But RHEL is a commercial product that costs $$$ right? Debian does 3+ years on

Then use CentOS which is a community rebuild of RHEL and also has the 10
years of updates.  My understanding was that with Debian stable it was only
supported for the life-cycle of the release and a little more.  A very
little more.  Even with Fedora you get updates for a year or more past when
they roll a new release, so you aren't really having to roll when the
upstream does.

>average which is pretty good for free. I think certain ubuntu releases are
>going to be have support updates for 10+ years for free. Anybody know what

Ubuntu is talking about 5 years with Dapper, which will be very nice.

>If you're really so risk/change adverse that's you can't upgrade within 5

The problem is more about the schedule.  With Debian, you don't have
multiple versions to choose from.  You have to deploy Woody until Sarge
goes stable, and you have very little time to test Sarge until Sarge
actually comes out.  And when will Sarge come out?  ISTR that there was
like a year where there was talk about it being released in 3 or 4 months.

With Ubuntu for example, you can deploy, wait say 4 years, in which time
there have been 8 releases.  You can now pick one of those more recent
releases, test against it and migrate, and still have a year to do the
migration and yet get another 4 years before you're going to have to do it
again.

That's just not something you get with the Debian "Sell no wine before it's
time" release cycle and flast cut-overs.

Debian's strength is it's huge package repository, not it's release cycle.

Thanks,
 "Ayn Rand books and guns...  You guys take World Domination seriously."
 "It's our job."  -- Conversation with Luke Jones about Rob Riggs place.