[NCLUG] Fedora 6 and the RaLink rt2500 wireless card

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Mon Dec 11 11:45:18 MST 2006

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 10:48:15AM -0700, Stephen Warren wrote:

> Chad Perrin wrote:
> > I don't want anyone to read this and think I'm specifically
> > anti-RH/Fedora, anti-Mandr(ake|iva), and/or anti-SuSE.  I found that the
> > way other distributions such as Debian, Gentoo, Slackware, and so on do
> > things in terms of toolsets and configuration files is more to my taste.
>
> Out of curiosity (since I've never used Debian, Gentoo, or Slackware
> after 1994), what is the distro-agnostic package that provides
> standardized network configuration scripts across all of those distros?

There's always ifconfig (which can be used to change network
configuration as well as to dump configuration to STDOUT).  More to the
point, however, the configuration file is fairly standardized and easy
to read and understand.  Thus, you can just edit the network
configuration directly without having to go through several separate
files in several different directories.  Even better, there are manpages
in Debian at least for the format of various configuration files, so you
don't have to rely on configuration scripts or find some hoary old
neckbearded suspenders-wearing UNIX guru circa 1975 living in the
basement of your local university to figure out what options are
available for network configuration files.

"There comes a time in the history of any project when it becomes necessary
to shoot the engineers and begin production." - MacUser, November 1990