[NCLUG] Failing drive or controller...

Benson Chow blc at q.dyndns.org
Mon Dec 18 13:33:27 MST 2006

It's not enough information from just seeing a sector or so fail to
pinpoint whether it's a dying harddrive or controller.  Plus
the fact that recent IDE controllers have some intelligence on-disk that
the drive itself has part of the controller.  But usually it is the disk
module that failed though -- if you never had any disk failures before,
here's a good rule of thumb - blame the disks first.

There appears to be two errors in that screen shot - thermal recalibration
failed and timeout while read sector.  While something as silly as the
hard drive getting suddenly disconnected could possibly cause both, having
a disk that went badly out of alignment and triggerred the disk's onboard
microcontroller to give up is the more likely scenario.

Either way, regardless if it's the drive or the onboard controller, it's
likely time to have someone visit the sick machine and someone who's
authorized to visit the machine at FRII is the only real answer :-( What's
the colo contract say about dying machines - and do you have someone
locally authorized to visit the machine?

(For this type of situation where I'm far away from my box and must need
high uptime I'd probably have set up the machine with some sort of hot- or
cold- swappable RAID system that can automatically figure out and rebuild
any replaced redundancy... and have someone who does not need to know
anything about the system that could replace disks available...)

-bc