[NCLUG] My new program: wifiroamd.

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Mon Jan 23 01:10:41 MST 2006

>>>>> "Sean" == Sean Reifschneider <jafo at tummy.com> writes:

Sean> IMHO, WEP and WPA are only the 80% solution.  [...]

Sean> I run everything over a VPN, so everything going to my servers
Sean> is secure, and things going to public sites or otherwise not
Sean> going to our servers is only inspectable from my servers to the
Sean> final destination.

Hm.  And the 2x cost going in and out of your vault doesn't start to
sting after a while?

I guess I'm just greedy; I'd like a solution where my "sensitive
stuff" (e-mail, mostly) is handled securely, and bulk stuff (linux ISO
images, mp3 files) comes to me directly in the clear.

My current solution is SSHing to scrye and reading my mail there;
financial web sites are mostly competent HTTPS.  When I'm on public
wi-fi nets, I make sure that I have a firewall up.

I don't really know what to say about concerns of traffic analysis,
but the same could be said for your solution -- unless your vault has
a sufficient variety of traffic that you can anonymize your packets
there.

t.