[NCLUG] Gateway MT6916

Vincent Randal vtrandal at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 29 09:55:54 MST 2007

I did go ahead and install OpenSuse 10.2 (because I had it and was familiar
with it) in VmWare under Windows Vista and directly on the hard drive. Both
installations went smoothly and worked well.

Then with a fair amount of effort I removed Windows Vista and installed Windows
XP (had to use nLite to create an XP install CD with the right SATA drivers).
But the XP installation has no sound or audio driver and the Windows Vista
audio driver won't install in XP.

Question: Is there a way to make the Linux sound driver work in Windows XP?
Kind of like the reverse of a Windows NDIS driver working in Linux via
ndiswrapper maybe?

The audio device is supposedly a SigmaTel STAC9205 but I cannot find a driver
for Windows XP that will install on my Gateway MT6916.