[NCLUG] Re: Thoughts on Linux Users

Jim Bragonier james.bragonier at comcast.net
Fri Nov 9 15:37:32 MST 2007

nclug-request at nclug.org wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: What is a Linux User? (Brian Wood)
>    2. Re: What is a Linux User? (ycsapo)

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 10:02:54 -0700
> From: Brian Wood <bwood at beww.org>
> Subject: Re: [NCLUG] What is a Linux User?
> To: Northern Colorado Linux Users Group <nclug at nclug.org>
>
> Paul Hummer wrote:
>> This week, Chad started thread about entitled "local end-user support"
>> that asked the question "Is there any local linux end user support?"
>> This got me thinking about the nature of Linux (and *BSD) users, and why
>> some "normal" computer services are not available to Linux users.  Is it
>> because the business world doesn't completely acknowledge Linux as a
>> viable OS?  Is it because people who use free software are poor, or just
>> stingy with their money?
>>
>> There are many corporate services available for Windows desktop users
>> that aren't necessarily *easily* available to Linux users.  One of these
>> is Geek Squad's online backup.  While it's possible to backup up your
>> Linux system to their online backup server, the process is VERY
>> Windows-centric (and not really something my grandma would do).
>> However, as an everyday Linux user (since 1998...), I've found solutions
>> that work for me, like buying hardware and setting up my own backups,
>> inside the LAN and off-site.  That just seems to be my nature.  An
>> elementary example at best, but one that proves my point.  There is so
>> specific Linux setup tool for the online backup.
>>
>> I guess what I'm getting at is, what is the "nature" of a Linux/*BSD
>> user?  I've thought about those of you I've encountered at Hacking
>> Society or the NCLUG meetings.  Some of them are minimalists, opting for
>> the window manager with 8 desktops, each running a terminal.  Others are
>> running full blown Gnome with every possible Compiz Fusion plugin
>> imaginable.  Some use Evolution, while others opt for fetchmail and
>> mutt.  Are Linux users "hackers" in the sense that they solve problems
>> themselves, or are they just really lucky to have great systems?  What
>> is it really that makes a Linux user tick?
>>
>> I look forward to your insights.
>
> Certainly a Linux user (or most of them) (by your definition) is more
> knowledgeable about computers than most Mac or Windows users (though
> there are certainly very sharp folks who use Win/Mac at home, and it is
> hard to sell somebody a "service" that they can perform themselves.
>
> It's hard to sell a professional auto mechanic an oil changing service
> (though there may be some who just don't want to bother).
>
> I don't think you really save any significant money by running Linux,
> what you do save on the OS and proprietary software probably gets spent
> on additional hardware (at least in my case).
>
> Many Linux users work with computers in some way at their jobs, or have
> in the past, or learned some Unix variant in school.

> [...]

I'm not sure what the discussion of Linux Users is about, but from my
perspective if you use Linux OS on a personal computer you share some
characteristics with others that make you some what unique.

   1. You probably would rather learn on your own than be taught.
   2. You've probably had a "not-too-good" experience using Windows.
   3. You probably seek out others who'd rather depend on their own
      solutions to computer needs than buy the "fool safe" version of
      software or hardware.
   4. You probably like gadgets, and if they are powered by Linux so
      much the better.
   5. You don't want to wade through "menus" of pap to do a simple task
      AND you don't want to be limited to one way of doing the tasks you
      undertake on computers.
   6. You don't want your operating system taken over by unknown updates
      and dependencies that you cannot predetermine.
   7. And you simply "hate" the idea that jack-booted software police
      can enter your business and steal you machines off your desktops,
      pronounce you only 80% compliant with software licenses, fine you
      and collect judgments and legal costs in an excess of $70,000 as
      they did from Ernie Ball Manufacturing.   This was accomplished
      under the direction and supervision of Microsoft lawyers and the
      County Sheriff in California, USA!

If you find that any of these characteristics apply to you, then you
might be a Linux User.

Even with the animosity I have for Windows, I still have to use Windows
(or Apple OSX) for my VectorWorks drafting program for my business.  So
I do have Microsoft polluting the premises.  My budget does not permit
abandonning M$ in one lethal swoop.  But what I have found is that I
have built a very reliable system for all my administrative process, and
lan of 9 computers, a Smoothwall Linux firewall for my lan, and two
lines of very low cost VOIP telephone system that works for my
businesses.  All on Linux.  Which means it is reparable, operates on a
variety of older machines, allows on-lan storage through a manually
backed up system on a half-terrabyte of mirrored disks.   A no out-of
pocket expense.  Freedom is everything!  Linux provides freedom!!

Now, re: local support.   How can I expect local support for something
which I have not paid?  Well, I do.  I get it from the other Linux users
of Front Range PC Users Group (FRPCUG) a handful of which are Linux
Users.  We support all OSs and handle both software and hardware
problems at our 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM
"Shop Talk" sessions at the Fort Collins Senior Center.

So send your Grandmothers to us before you setup their computers, if
you'd like.  We're contemplating an "Open Office" based word processing
course there, too, for cheap ($15/course of 1 or 2 classes).

Linux is not a consumer operating system because it is not promoted as
such.  It should be the operating system of choice for all governments
in the USA, but probably will never achieve that... unless Linux users
continue to provide consumer and eventual public support!  Fort Collins
could be a leader in this movement and realize a significant savings...
has anyone ever suggested such a thing to the City Managers or City
Council?  Want to create a NCLUG/FRPCUG SIG to investigate the
possibility???

Jim Bragonier, Secretary and Webmaster of FRPCUG