[NCLUG] Re: Ubuntu sound problems--Installfest question

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Apr 13 02:54:38 MDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 01:02:49AM -0600, danbob wrote:
> OK -- well, the input here has been excellent as always.
> And the  installfest looks like it will happen while I am out of state
> on a business trip.
> SO -- Plan C.
> I think I'll nab a cheap and linux compatible sound card for my
> Frankenbox. I do have a slot open for it. When I need to do studio
> mixing, optical, digital input etc. in windows, I'll plug in the Extigy
> and use the USB for it. For Linux, I'll use the new card.
>
> Any suggestions on a no-brainer "it just works" Linux PCI sound card
> (5.1 surround I hope) for the Frankenbox? Something as simply functional
> as my current gold dust "it just works" Orinoco laptop PCM wireless
> card? (That card will have to be pryed out of my cold, dead hands to
> leave the office here, it works with EVERY linux computer I plug it
> into).

SoundBlaster cards have traditionally been very well supported.  I don't
know if that has dropped off in recent years, but since you just want
PCI, a SoundBlaster Live should suffice nicely.  You can get 'em with 5.1
Dolby Surround Sound support, though there are two caveats to go with
this statement:

  1. I'm not sure whether *all* Live cards support 5.1 Dolby.

  2. I'm not sure how good the software support is for 5.1 Dolby, since
  it's a proprietary sound output format (or something like that).  I'm
  not really a sound systems expert.

Isaac Asimov: "Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is
completely programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest."