[NCLUG] Fedora 8 install

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Feb 25 09:51:58 MST 2008

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 06:25:17 +0000
bsimpson at att.net wrote:

> From: Stephen Warren <swarren at wwwdotorg.org>
> >
> > bsimpson at att.net wrote:
> > > I've just installed Fedora 8 on my laptop (eMachine M5312) but it
> > > fails to boot, stopping with the following two lines:

> > >   Trying to resume from /dev/sda8
> > >
> > > where it just hangs.  On the same machine I have a working Fedora
> > > Core 4 install, and it refers to the (single) harddrive by hda
> > > and its partitions as hda1 - 11.  (Yes, I use a lot of
> > > partitions.) During installation of Fedora 8 I noticed that it
> > > refers to the harddrive as sda and its partitions as sda1 - 11.
> > > Why the discrepancy, and might this be the cause of the hang?
> >
> > Fedora changed to libsata, so everything is named sd* now. sda is
> > equivalent to FC4's hda on your system.
> >
> > In you grub.conf, there's no doubt an option "resume=sda8" or
> > similar. You could try removing that (I assume you know how to do
> > this with a boot disk since you're extracting initrds...)
>
> Actually it's from the statement:  resume /dev/sda8
> that appears within the init file that is contained within the
> initrd file.  (And I'm actually using lilo for various reasons, and
> no resume option is being fed to the kernel.)
>
> So that's why I was looking at altering initrd.

Odd. Thats the part where it's checking to see if it should resume from
hibernate (which stores the image on your swap partition.).

I don't know why it would hang there...

There have been a ton of updates since F8 was released... you might
look at re-installing with the respin:

http://fedoraunity.org/news-archives/fedora-8-re-spin-20080204-released

Which includes all the updates to feb 4th. Also, it contains some good
installer fixes.

Also, you might make sure you aren't passing 'quiet' to the boot line,
and see if it shows you any further info on booting.

> Brian S

kevin