[NCLUG] advice for switchers?

S. Luke Jones slukejones at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 11:31:42 MDT 2008

I have purchased a laptop to be my new primary home machine. (Taking
into consideration the advice I received here, I got a refurb Dell
Inspiron 1525. This is related to the 1525N model they support Linux
on, and reports in laptop linux support forums and blogs seem
promising.)

My primary home machine for the past couple of years has been a Mac.
During that time I've only used my Linux machine for backing up the
mac. (I turn it on every so often, run a few rsync commands, and
sometimes an apt-get upgrade, then turn it back off.) So I've been out
of the Linux mainstream for awhile. (Although, on the Mac, the main
programs I run are Terminal, Firefox, and vim.)

I'm looking for advice, particularly from people who are relatively
recent switchers/switch-backers. What's been going on while I've been
in Mac-land? Are there any new killer apps? In particular, if anyone
has opinions about the nearest Linux equivalents of the Mac's consumer
tools (Mail.app, iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, iTunes, etc.) and office apps
(Pages, Numbers, and Keynote) I'd appreciate hearing any tips.

Thanks!

S. Luke Jones - slukejones at gmail.com