[NCLUG] ssh question

Chris Funk chris at us-reports.com
Thu Oct 9 10:32:19 MDT 2008

You are good to go.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Hutchinson <jim at ubuntu-rocks.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2008 10:27 AM
To: Northern Colorado Linux Users Group <nclug at nclug.org>
Subject: Re: [NCLUG] ssh question

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:34 AM, Bob Proulx <bob at proulx.com> wrote:

> But at the same time using simple ssh for remote access is almost
> certainly approved and therefore less worry.  For those reasons using
> the more lightweight ssh for remote access is sometimes the better
> choice.  I don't want to sound disapproving of VPNs though.  I am
> not.  I think vpns are good tools too.

Bob, Thanks for that info. I was looking at the vpn option and a few things
seemed difficult and a bit unclear. The ssh tunnel is very clean and easy
and I like that I can access my home network and hardware should I need to.
>From what I know of vpns, it sounds like a very good tool but I'm not
convinced that it's the easiest and least likely to attract attention. Your
explanation helps me feel comfortable that the ssh tunnel is a good
solution.

Thanks.
--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)