[NCLUG] Python Rox

Ben West mrgenixus at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 10:37:44 MDT 2008

Regarding Python, I've recently picked up O' Reilly's "Learning Python" by
Mark Lutz and find it a great resource.  Also, if peachpit press has a
learning python or python visual quickstart, I'd suggest those as texts for
such a class -- Personally I've been impressed with all the books they've
published on "getting started" with varous tools, languages, technologies.

Though I'm not what you would call a Python convert, I do like the idea of
it being an introductory language, becuase of it's flexibly, ubiquity, and
strict code standards (indentation, the way it treats references, mutables,
etc. ).

Much Luck, and I hope My commentary helps

Ben West

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Goodman,Darrin <
Darrin.Goodman at colostate.edu> wrote:

> Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> > I would be happy to do such a thing again.  If anyone else is interested,
> it sounds like we may be able to use a lab?  If not, I could do it
> one-on-one or in a smaller group.
>
> Stephen Warren wrote:
> > Anyway, I'd be willing to put some time into helping out get Python
> taught if you need.
>
> If you guys were interested in putting on a Python-for-beginners workshop,
> I'd certainly be interested in absorbing anything that you were willing to
> teach (please just not during the month of March).  If it turns out to be a
> small group of folks who are interested in this, and if it turns out that
> (as Jim mentioned) that it does not work out to mix staff/students/NCLUGers,
> then perhaps we could just do it at someone's home.  Chances are that most
> folks probably have laptops so it should be easy for folks to bring their
> own equipment and set up a temporary lab.  I've got a small screen (or we
> could use a sheet) if someone has a projector.
>
> Please let me know if I can help in any way with setting this up.
>
> - Darrin

/ˈmɪstər/ /ˈdʒɛnəsɪs/@/dʒi/ /meɪl/ /dɒt/ /kɒm/
Benjamin West