[NCLUG] linux on recent HP laptops

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Wed Oct 22 08:21:28 MDT 2008

S. Luke Jones wrote:
> I'm considering getting a new HP laptop (Pavilion dv4-1123us) but I go
> far enough back with Linux that I'm nervous about nothing working. I
> figure on a laptop that might include: (1) networking, (2) sound, (3)
> optical drive (esp. burning), (4) everything else. (I take it for
> granted that power management doesn't work on any laptop anywhere except
> macs.;-)
>
> I've consulted "linux-laptop.net" and the ubuntu forums, but this
> particular model isn't mentioned anywhere. (I think this is a function
> of all computer models these days having a shelf-life of about 3 months.
> They have dv4's and dv5's and dv7's, but the particular model number is
> all that's relevant. And probably not even that: it's not like they
> guarantee an -1123us will have the same parts this week that it did last
> week.)
>
> So, my question is this: what's the best way to know if a laptop you're
> thinking about buying will run Linux (a) before you buy it (b) without
> wasting your time explaining to the tech support person what linux is
> and (c) all this before the laptop is supplanted by next month's model?

If I'm looking at a particular laptop I tend to go with the ones that
have been reviewed in Linux Journal, and are thus known to work well
with Linux.

There is also Emperor Linux, which specializes in selling machines that
they guarantee will have all the functions working properly. There is a
big difference between an outfit that just slaps a Linux distro on
something and one that actually works to make sure that every thing
works, but you pay for that difference.

Most WiFi radios are supported these days, by one trick of grabbing the
firmware or another. Any standard DVD burner interface is usually
supported as well. Power control, as you mentioned, can often be
problematic.

I was pretty astounded that my PPC iBook worked great with Ubuntu, the
only problem being that I have the older ADB trackpad and had to patch
the kernel to get trackpad scrolling working with the Synaptics driver
(you need to get it into absolute mode). It really makes a nice little
Linux box.

beww