[NCLUG] Ruby Fanatics?

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Fri Jul 22 18:45:28 MDT 2011

Michael Riversong wrote:
> It's my understanding that there are some Ruby fanatics in
> Ft. Collins.  Would like to be in the loop for events involving
> that.

There are a few Rubyists in the area.  I like programming in Ruby for
random things that need scripting.  But I don't think I qualify as
being "fanatical" about it.  I am more of a rethreaded Perl programmer
who discovered Ruby and enjoy using it.  But unfortunately there
doesn't seem to be a huge community of Rubyists here.  At least not as
many as other languages and not as many as elsewhere.

> I'm involved with 2 children who are learning it!  This means i have
> to get at least enough learned to communicate with them.

Fun!

> Is it possible to program video games with intense character
> graphics with Ruby?

Character graphics should definitely be possible.  I don't think I
would try programming any 3D rendering in Ruby.  I am more of a C
programming for anything truly hard core.  But I don't see a reason
not to use Ruby for general programming.

Bob