[NCLUG] linux latops

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Tue Mar 15 16:29:15 MDT 2011

Unfortunately, Thinkpads and newer Lenovo stuff requires fiddling.
Really, I don't know of any major brand that doesn't require fiddling.
Large vendors, Lenovo/IBM included, put forth pretty much zero effort to
support Linux, and those that have supported Linux seem to have given up
because they couldn't make money.

In the Lenovo/IBM case, there is a cabal of non-IBM heroes that work
hard to make Lenovo/IBM stuff work with Linux without getting any spec
details from Lenovo.  And you will find some comments and code from me
sprinkled about the ThinkWiki site in this regard.  I also really like
the Thinkpads and their "tank"-like construction, the keyboards are the
best I've used.  I still have a T40p and T60p that still work fine just
left running older already-fiddled OS versions (maybe Ubuntu 9.04).  I
fiddle with a Macbook Pro these days.

If you want an idea of how much "fiddling" is still going on with Lenovo
hardware, take a look at the IBM ACPI mailing list at
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=ibm-acpi-devel

Regards,
Mike