[NCLUG] VIM Talk

Joshua Datko jbdatko at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 21:19:43 MDT 2013

Thanks for the vim talk!  I can certainly appreciate that vi is universally installed and is therefore, useful to learn.  Now I know a second vim command :help !

Here are some followup links from tonight's discussion:

I found a utility that shows keystrokes in a nice big bar across the screen, which would be useful for future editor / shell demonstrations (or doing screencasts):

http://seminar.io/projects/screenkey/

There was some discussion about terminal multiplexers.  Terminator was mentioned, which was new to me, as well as good old GNU Screen and Tmux.  I like using Byobu which works with either Screen / Tmux and provides some fancy window dressings.

Terminator: http://www.tenshu.net/p/terminator.html

I have a blog post about it here: http://datko.net/2013/07/06/byobu-fancy-window-dressings-on-gnu-screen/

Or just go directly there: http://byobu.co/

And sorry, I can't help it: http://xkcd.com/378/