anyone compile and install ZFS manually?

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sun Dec 3 21:54:25 UTC 2023

> Basically, my question amounts to:
> How do I install ZFS via manual compilation to get the latest version so
> that I can use zfs-dkms or equivalent to automatically compile and install
> kernel modules when the kernel is updated?

First, I have no idea!  I haven't done it.  But to compile it from
source I would think the Gentoo instructions might help.  Then combine
that with the DKMS instructions.

    https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ZFS
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DKMS

That information will probably need to be combined with compiling your
own custom Ubuntu kernel.  In the long distant past I had troubles
matching expected versions between modules and prebuilt kernels and
found it easier to compile both.

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/BuildYourOwnKernel

Again I haven't done it.  I don't know what problems will appear.  But
not seeing anyone else jump in with something I thought I would
contribute the above.  Little help though it might be.

Bob