suggestions for sync

Stephen Warren swarren-tag-list-nclug at wwwdotorg.org
Thu Sep 14 23:19:20 UTC 2023

On 9/14/23 15:23, Phil Marsh wrote:
> Hi,
> I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for programs to do file
> sync across LAN and internet?
> I've tried Syncthing, but it got jammed and wouldn't sync. It would
> report that the files were synced when they weren't. Either I messed up
> the settings or its buggy.
> I'm really good at finding bugs in code. I can break anything. If
> there's a bug, I'll find it in under a couple weeks.

For uni-directional transfer, use rsync.

For multi-master/bi-directional transfer, use unison, but be aware of
its protocol compatibility limitations; you need the exact same version
on both ends. Luckily there are statically-linked versions that you can
use on different OSs, without having to be bound to the exact version
that your distro has packaged on both ends.