suggestions for sync

Phil Marsh microcraftx at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 23:57:35 UTC 2023

Hi Stephen,
I've had good luck with Unison. The only issue is that it appears to me
that it's designed to sync directories on the same machine. However, I'm
thinking it could be used with NFS mounts to sync across LAN or internet.
While this isn't the most elegant solution, I think it could be the best.
The only issue is what happens if the NFS fails to mount? Would Unison then
either delete all the files on the synced directory or copy the files to
the empty mountpoint?
I could write a script to turn on Unison only if the NFS mount succeeds.
I like the idea of Syncthing, but I find bugs intolerable when it comes to
filesystems. Sometimes, I feel like the advocates of some of this software
don't actually depend on its reliable operation.
I have found that OwnCloud's sync is reliable, but unfortunately, OwnCloud
is really designed to run from a server which is headless because, while
one can access the files on OwnCloud on the server hosting OwnCloud - by
providing a sync folder on the machine. Unfortunately, when you do this,
you end up doubling the data storage requirement for the Owncloud synced
files on the Owncloud server.
Thanks,
Phil